Skip to main content | Skip to main navigation

Hibiscus by Dave Miyamoto





Academic Calendar

Tuition & Fees

Tuition & Fees

Campus Map

Education Tax Credits

The U.S. Congress established federal tax credits for qualified college tuition and related expenses under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. Please visit Tax Credit Information (UH System) for more information about these tax credits as well as other education-related tax credits. For additional help, visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) opens in new windowor review IRS Publication 970 (PDF).

With the exception of nonresident aliens, all students who were charged qualified tuition and related expenses from January 1 to December 31 of a given tax year will receive a 1098-T Tuition Statement. This form reflects amounts billed (not paid) for qualified tuition and related expenses and amounts paid for scholarship and grants during the calendar year. Any registration charges for Spring semester posted to your student account on or before December 31 will be reflected in the current calendar year 1098-T form and not during the calendar year when Spring semester occurs.

Your 1098-T tax statement will be available for viewing electronically on your MyUH Portal from January 31.  An email with the subject line "Important Tax Return Document Available" will be sent to your email address at that time.  For additional information about the delivery and retrieval of your 1098-T tax form, visit the Bursar's Office website.

Important Note about Social Security Numbers

You must provide the University with your Social Security Number in order to receive the Form 1098-T tax statement. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 requires the University to collect and use students' Social Security Numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) to report annually to the IRS any qualified tuition and related expenses billed to students as well as any scholarship and grant payments made to students. If the University does not have a valid social security number on file for you, you will be asked to submit a Form W9-S (PDF).