Freshman & Sophomore checklists
College is not only for taking classes and completing the requirements. It is a place to learn, gain experience, and grow personally to become a citizen equipped with independent mind that supports life-long learning. Use the checklists below to learn what you should do to get the most of college education and have a productive freshman and sophomore year!
- Set up your learning environment. Check your UH e-mail account regularly and read all messages before deleting them.
- Attend classes!
- Keep track of your weekly study schedule and record for each class how long you spent previewing, reviewing, doing assignments, and preparing for mid terms & final exams.
- If possible, take an introductory course or pre-requisite course(s) in your potential major.
- Find out what your entrance / application requirements (GPA requirements, course pre-requisites, tests / exams, other requirements, such as field experience or interviews) are so that you can keep track of them.
- Explore UHM campus and its neighborhood
- Check resources & programs available for freshmen
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your first semester at UHM, major requirements, and degree requirements.
- Meet with your academic advisor to check your progress, assess how the introductory / pre-requisite major courses went. discuss your major, campus resources and your plan for sophomore year.
- If the course(s) went well, continue to fulfill the requirements. Develop a plan to determine what you need to work on and when you need to fulfill it in order to keep on track with an advisor.
- If the course(s) did not go well, or was not what you expected, then you may want to discuss other options with an advisor.
- Stay active in classes. Ask questions, visit instructors during their office hours, form study groups with your classmates, use tutoring services, etc.
- Check various campus events and participate in at least one or two
- Check activities and opportunities that help enrich your college experience (click to view a list of opportunities)
- Attend study strategy and time management workshops to assess and broaden your skills
- Visit the Mānoa Career Center to learn more about career planning and development
- Be involved and participate in enrichment opportunities. (Click to view a list of enrichment opportunities)
- Start building your network. Get to know upperclassmen, faculty members, employers, etc.
- Meet with your academic advisor to evaluate progress in your major and make a plan for the reminder of your sophomore year
- Apply for your major by the deadline.
- Establish your study habit and strategies
- Do some more engagement activities. Be an active member of the UHM community.
- Set academic & career related goals for your junior and senior years and make a plan in order to achieve those goals.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your decision on major and other academic options (e.g., double majoring, minors) and develop a comprehensive plan for the reminder of your college career at UHM
Additional resource for sophomore students: Sophomore Experience
End of sophomore: Declare a major!
Check out our list of Enrichment Opportunities to help make the most of your Freshmen and Sophomore years.