Having Academic Difficulty?

The transition to college is a difficult one, and we’re here to help. Academic success is affected by many factors, and the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa provides students with a variety of resources for academic assistance. These resources also address other components of a student’s life which may affect academics.

Tutoring Resources

If you are having difficulty in a course, don’t be afraid to ask. Your instructors and teaching assistants are there to assist you. In addition, there are many resources available to students who want extra help, or wish to learn with others, in a variety of subjects. You don’t have to learn it all on your own.


Strategies for Academic Success

  • Meet with your academic advisor regularly, at least once a semester to ensure you understand your requirements and are making progress towards graduation. Remember, suggestions from friends are not necessarily applicable to you.
  • Learn time management skills and find a balance between studying and other personal commitments. For assistance with time management and life balance, you may wish to attend one of the workshops held by the Learning Assistance Center, or the Counseling and Student Development Center.
  • Seek help before it’s too late. Take advantage of tutoring resources and workshops, as well as the wealth of knowledge your instructors and TAs hold.
  • Use all available resources (tutoring, workshops, instructors, teaching assistants, classmates etc.).
  • Maintain good communication with your instructors.
  • Read your syllabi carefully and thoroughly.
  • Attend classes regularly and complete all assignments.
  • Meet all deadlines.

If you still run into difficulty, see an advisor to find out what your options are, as soon as possible. (Your options may narrow the longer you wait.)

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Your GPA is calculated by multiplying the number of credits for each course by the grade points, based on the letter grade earned. This is then divided by the total number of credits attempted in which the letter grades were received.

There are several different GPAs which may be considered for admission into a program. Different departments have different policies regarding the calculation of GPAs for admission purposes and treatment of repeated coursework in each. In general, there are three types of GPAs used in admission:

  • Cumulative GPA: Consists of all courses taken for a letter grade at UHM. Your UHM cumulative GPA does not factor in any coursework from other campuses. However, UHM Outreach College courses are included.
  • Admission GPA: Consists of all college-level coursework completed at UHM or other postsecondary institutions. Note that many programs use this term interchangeably with cumulative GPA. You will need to check with your advisor to confirm what is intended. This is manually calculated by the individual departments or colleges.
  • Pre-requisite GPA: Calculated based on grades earned in required pre-requisite coursework. This is manually calculated by the individual departments or colleges. You will need to check with them on their policy for repeating courses.

Provided as a basic illustration (please refer to the appropriate college or program to confirm the requirements you must meet to be eligible for admission):

Shidler College of Business Nursing Program
Cumulative GPA Minimum 2.0 = UHM GPA
Admission GPA Minimum 2.5 = UHM GPA + Transfer GPA Minimum 2.5 = UHM GPA + Transfer GPA
Pre-requisite GPA Minimum 2.5 in pre-business core courses Calculated based on pre-nursing core courses
Repeats If only one choice of class, all attempts used in GPA calculations 6 credits allowed

You will want to check with your intended department to determine what GPAs are used in admission, and to confirm their policies regarding repeated courses.

Academic Actions

At the end of each Fall and Spring semester, the academic records of undeclared (General Arts & Sciences) and pre-major students are reviewed and academic actions are taken by the Mānoa Advising Center (MAC). Academic actions are not taken at the end of summer sessions, and those taken at the end of Spring terms are carried through the Fall semester. More information on the University’s academic policy can be found in the [UHM Catalog]. An overview of official academic actions taken by MAC can be found [here].

[back to top]