Graduate chairs serve as the liaison between the Office of Graduate Education and graduate programs. They are nominated by their department chair, approved by their college/school Dean and then appointed by the Graduate Dean.
The duties of the graduate chair include:
- updating and maintaining list of graduate program graduate faculty,
- responding to routine requests for program information and applications,
- maintaining files for each graduate student,
- scheduling preliminary advising, qualifying examinations (written and oral), and other advising conferences with students,
- serving as liaison between the department, the Office of Graduate Education, UHM, and any other such agencies with which the graduate program comes in contact,
- serving on the Graduate Assembly,
- scheduling and conducting graduate faculty meetings,
- publicizing the availability of achievement scholarships and nominating students for such awards,
- administering the admission of applicants to the program,
- reviewing and signing all official forms and memos required by the Office of Graduate Education, and
- certifying final degree checks.
Guide for Graduate Chairs
Guide for Graduate Chairs- 2014.pdf