University of Hawaii Manoa
Prospective Students Current Students Faculty & Staff Parents

Alcohol Use on Campus

Beer Bottles
Wine Glasses
The purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages is regulated by state law and University Policies. Under state law, no one under the age of twenty-one may purchase, possess or consume alcoholic beverages.

Alcohol consumption is permitted in dormitory rooms and student apartments occupied by individuals who are twenty-one years of age or older. Consumption of alcoholic beverages is forbidden in all public and common areas.

Service or consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus requires special permission from the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Finance and Operations. All consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus involving students requires an additional endorsement from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Students. A minimum of two signatures are required on the request forms from the sponsoring organization or group.

Students and employees found to be in violation may be subject to the provisions of state law, University policy and the Student Conduct Code.

To request permission to serve alcoholic beverages at an event fill out the Request Form. Instructions are supplied on the second page of the form.

  • Individuals representing organizations, units, or groups sponsoring activities at which alcoholic beverages are to be sold or served should be aware of their potential liability and other consequences incurred by them and their organization in the event a lawsuit is filed. It is recommended that liability insurance be purchased before the service or sale of alcoholic beverages is approved.
  • It is contrary to university policy to serve any alcoholic beverages at events or activities to which the public (or "any or all interested persons") are invited.
  • Advertisements or general description flyers announcing an event at which alcoholic beverages are to be served must state that only members and invited guests may attend.
  • In order to serve alcoholic beverages at functions which include non-university guests, such guests must be personally and individually invited.
  • Non-alcoholic beverages must be made available at all functions where alcohol is being served or sold.
  • It is strongly recommended that food be provided at all functions where alcohol is available.
  • The safety and security of all attendees must be assured.
  • Sale of alcoholic beverages must occur only under an appropriate license from the Honolulu Liquor Commission.
  • Student violators may be disciplined under the student conduct code.

You are visitor number  hit count since 11/1/04