The speech should be five minutes (maximum allowable time).
Students must be a candidate for spring or summer graduation (students who must complete additional courses in Fall 2016 to graduate are not eligible to audition). A minimum 3.0 overall GPA as of December 2015 is required.
All candidates will be judged using the following criteria:
- Correct use of mechanics, grammar, and pronunciation.
- Clear, thoughtful, intelligent thinking that is appropriate for the occasion and would appeal to a diverse audience.
- Creativity, Uniqueness, Eloquence.
- Project voice well and articulate words clearly.
- Connect with the audience; make regular eye contact and use written speech sparingly.
Optional extra credit for exceptional delivery/uniqueness of content.
- Sign-up to audition via the Student Speaker Google Form by Friday, April 1, 2016.
- Email a copy of your speech to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 8, 2016.
- Be prepared to introduce yourself prior to the audition (not included in the time constraint).
- The content is to be identical to the content of the speech delivered in the ceremony.
- The order of auditions will be determined by lottery.
- Depending on the number of candidates auditioning, there may be a second round of auditions.
- The auditions are open to the public, but not to those auditioning. If attendees in any way distract the speaker or the audience from the speech, they will be asked to leave.
- A selection committee comprised of representatives from the administration, faculty, staff, students, and the alumni association will select the winning speech.
- All candidates will be notified of the committee's decision by email, letter, or phone call (winner).
- The selected speaker will meet with a faculty member from the Communicology Department prior to commencement for coaching.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.