Info for Tester Symposium
Aloha biology ‘ohana,
We are excited to invite you to the 44th Annual Albert L. Tester Memorial Symposium, to be held at the Keoni Auditorium, East-West Center, April 10-12, 2019. All are welcome to listen to research presentations from graduate and undergraduate students across multiple disciplines of natural sciences, and to attend presentations from our invited Keynote speaker, Dr. Kristy Kroeker, Associate Professor in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at UC Santa Cruz.
This year, we are honored to have Dr. Kristy Kroeker of UC Santa Cruz as our distinguished keynote speaker. Dr. Kroeker is an Associate Professor in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, a Packard Fellow in Science and Engineering and a Sloan Fellow in Ocean Sciences. Research in her lab focuses on global change ecology and scaling up from individuals to ecosystems to study the emergent effects of environment change. Learn more about her work here: http://kristy-kroeker.squarespace.com/. In this 44th Testers Symposium, our specific goals are to increase participation across a broad range of scientific disciplines and campus departments, and to focus on encouraging undergraduate participation throughout all events of the symposium. Following the success of previous years, we will hold professional development panels and workshops centered around diversity and equity in STEM fields and developing research partnerships with Native Hawaiian communities.
(Location: Keoni Auditorium, unless otherwise stated)
Wednesday, April 10
- 11:30 AM Graduate student lunch with Dr. Kristy Kroeker. EDM 215. Lunch provided, RSVP required.
- 12:30 PM Introductory remarks
- 1:00 - 4:00 PM Research Presentations: ten 15-minute and two 5-minute student talks
- 4:15 - 5:15 PM Keynote address, Dr. Kristy Kroeker. Sea change: scaling up the effects of ocean change from individuals to ecosystems.
Thursday, April 11
- 9:05 AM - 4:05 PM Research Presentations: eighteen 15-minute and eight 5-minute student talks
- 12:05 - 1:30 PM Workshop. The Media Method: Essential skills for working with professional communicators. Lunch provided, RSVP required.
- 4:30 - 6:30 PM Poster Session & Pau Hana. MSB Lanai.
Friday, April 12
- 9:00 AM - 16:05 PM Research presentations: sixteen 15-minute and nine 5-minute student talks
- 11:20 AM - 1:15 PM Workshop: Indigenous perseverance in the face of climate change: empowering community-based research to support healthy biocultural systems. Lunch provided. RSVP will be made available soon!
- 4:15 - 5:15 PM Public Keynote: Dr. Kristy Kroeker. Sea change: how climate change and ocean acidification affect ocean health.
- 5:30 PM Pau Hana, Edmonson Lanai
Saturday, April 13
- 6:00 - 9:00 PM Awards Banquet at Waikiki Aquarium. RSVP required by April 5th.
- We have a sustainability program in place to minimize our environmental impact! Please bring along your own drinkware and utensils for coffee breaks where you can. A limited number of #uhuglymugs will be available for participants! Please follow signage for waste disposal during the symposium and download a digital copy of the Testers program, as we will not have printed copies available.
- We are still looking for day-of volunteers. Please do consider signing up and helping out!
- Follow us on instagram! @tester_uh
We look forward to seeing you at Testers 44!
2019 Tester Symposium Organizers