Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Advising

Academic Planner:



General Advising Questions:

Evaluations & Transfer Credits


General Questions

Scholarships & Financial Aid



Academic Advising

Who is my advisor, and where is my college/school student academic services office?

At UHM, advisors are experts rather than generalists, which means that all UHM students have at least two advisors: a college/school advisor and a major advisor. If you are part of a special population (e.g., athletes, Honors students, first-generation students, pre-health/pre-law students, etc.), you may have additional advisors.

College/school advisors are located in Student Academic Services offices and track students’ progress, explain policies and procedures, offer resources, and help students navigate their educational journeys. Major advisors are located in their department and explain requirements, opportunities, and career options in their field. Special population advisors are located throughout the campus. For a directory of advising offices, visit: Consult your department to find your major advisor.

What’s the difference between “degree”, “major”, and “program”? And what are program requirements?

A degree is an academic title. At UHM, for example, there are several types of Bachelor degrees: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor of Education (BEd), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), etc.

A major is an area of specialization, so there can be many different majors for each degree type: BA in English, BA in Psychology, BA in Music, etc.

A program is a sub-specialization within a major: BA: Music (Composition), BA: Music (Performance), BA: Music (Musicology), etc.

We use the term “program” to refer to a specific course of study, so we talk about ‘program sheets’, which list all of the requirements for a specific course of study.

Back to Top

Academic Planner

Is it really possible to graduate in four years?

Yes, it is possible with careful planning. There are three things that you need to do to keep on track.

  1. Consult with your academic advisor to create a four year academic plan.
  2. Complete at least 31 credits per year — that’s 15–16 credits each Fall and Spring semester — because your academic plan should consist of 124 credits (some majors require more) to graduate. If you take fewer credits in Fall/Spring, you can make up the difference by taking courses in Summer terms.
  3. Identify and declare/apply for your major on time — at least by the time you have completed 55 credits. To ensure your success, you should consult with your academic advisor on a regular basis to monitor your progress towards your degree.

Why do I need an academic plan?

Having an academic plan is vital to your success at the University. It will keep you on track and help you graduate on time. Oftentimes, you will need to plan ahead, because there may be prerequisites for required courses. A plan will also help you figure out what you should be taking when, and why, and can help you fit in extras like Study Abroad, internships, and double majors. Remember to have your plan with you whenever you meet with an advisor — and don’t forget that you can create an academic plan on STAR, where it will always be available and can be easily updated (

How am I supposed to make an academic plan when I don’t know which courses I want to choose or even which courses will be offered when?

Program Sheets for most degrees are available at: Download the program sheet for your (intended) major and make an appointment with an advisor to discuss plans and options that will be best suited for you. Peruse through the courses and course descriptions section of the Catalog for additional insight.

Back to Top


How do I choose a major?

Some students know exactly what they want to study before they get to college; others are not as sure and may feel pressured to make a decision. Choosing a major can be difficult since it is a very important decision. You don’t have to figure it out alone — there are lots of resources! Start by working with your advisor in the Mānoa Advising Center (QLC 101). You can also find help at the Mānoa Career Center (QLC 212), where you can learn about self-assessment tools and pick up a few “What Can I Do with this Major?” brochures. A list of UHM majors is available at

When do I have to declare my major?

All students should be in a declared major by the start of their Junior year. Part of the university experience is exploring the many options available, but in general, the sooner you declare your major, the better prepared you can be to enter your program. In short, as soon as you know the major you want, declare it!

How do I get admitted to the major I want?

Different majors have different requirements for admission, and the college/school offering the major may have additional requirements and procedures for admission.

  1. Start by checking the major’s program sheet, located at The type of admission for the college/school is listed at the top of the first page; the type of admission for the major is listed at the top of the second page.
  2. Check out the details of those requirements in the UHM Catalog at
  3. Meet with the department’s academic advisor to learn more about the program.
  4. Complete all admission requirements and submit the necessary forms. Be aware of deadline dates!

How can I change my major?

Majors are housed in colleges and schools. If you want to change to a major that’s in the same college/school as your current major, it may be as easy as talking to your advisor and turning in a “UHM College and Curriculum Transfer Request” form, which is available at your college’s/school’s Student Academic Services office. If, however, you want to move from one college/school to another, you should start by checking the admission requirements for that college/school and talking to one of its academic advisors. Changing may be as simple as filling out a form, but some colleges/schools require a specific application form and sometimes also specific classes, practicum hours, an exam, an interview or audition. So, first step: check out the college/school website ( ); next, talk to an advisor at the college/school you want to enter.

Note: the UHM Admissions On-Line Application is only for admission into the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, not for changing colleges, schools, or majors.

How can I add another major?

If the major you want to add is within your college/school, speak with your advisor; it may be as simple as filling out a form. Adding another major in the same college/school is called a “double” or “second” major.

If the major you want to add is in a different college/school, you will need to submit an application. Adding a major in a different college/school is called a “concurrent” degree and requires an agreement between the two colleges/schools. Students seeking concurrent degrees must complete all requirements in both units, including the college/school requirements for each. Remember that some colleges/schools have specific admission requirements, so start by checking out the websites of both the colleges/school and of the department, then meet with an advisor in the unit you want to add.

How do I add a minor/certificate?

To add a minor/certificate, pick up the form from your college or school Student Academic Services office (some departments also keep the form on hand) and meet with the advisor for your minor/certificate.

After getting the necessary signatures, turn the form into your Student Academic Services office.

For a list of possible minors/certificates, visit

What are the requirements for my major/degree?

Start by visiting UHM Bachelor Degree Program Sheets / Four-Year Plans at, which lists requirements and shows one possible way to complete them in four years. But remember that an education is more than just a collection of courses: your academic plan should be unique to you.

Work with your college/school advisor to learn how to create your own comprehensive plan, including a sequence of courses, internships, capstone experiences, and co-curricular activities.

Back to Top


What is considered a “passing” grade?

Technically, a passing grade is anything above an F grade, so a D-minus or higher. But remember that “passing” is not the same as being able to use the course to fulfill requirements. To use a course for General Education requirements, you will need a grade of D (not D-minus) or higher. To use a course as a prerequisite for another course, you will usually need a grade of C (not C-minus) or higher. In some situations, you may need an even higher grade. It is usually best to try for the highest possible grade, and be sure to check with your advisor.

Why does a C minus grade count for some courses but not for others?

Grade requirements vary because individual departments and their colleges/schools determine the minimum grade requirements for their courses and degree programs.

In most cases, courses used to fulfill major, minor, and certificate requirements must be completed with a ‘C’ grade or higher, because a ‘C’ grade indicates that the student attained at least average competency in the subject. A ‘C-minus’ grade is passing but indicates below-average competency and is not usually acceptable to fulfill major, minor, and certificate requirements. A small handful of departments, however, will accept ‘C-minus‘ or even ‘D’ grades for major, minor, and certificate requirements.

For General Education requirements, students are required to take a broad spectrum of courses, some almost certainly outside their areas of strength, which is why students can fulfill those requirements with ‘D’ (but not ‘D-minus’) grades or higher.

If you aren’t sure whether your courses meet grade requirements, check with either your college/school or major advisor.

Back to Top

General Advising Questions

How many credits should I take?

The minimum to be full-time is 12 credits. To graduate in four years, however, students must average 31 credits per year, or 15–16 credits per semester. Students who take an average of 12 credits per semester will take at least 5 ½ years to graduate.

We recommend that students take 12–14 credits in their first semester in order to allow time to adjust to college, avoid being overwhelmed, and do well academically. Thereafter, students should be able to judge their own capabilities and how many credits they can handle along with any other commitments.

Remember that you can spread your 31 credits per year over three semesters: For example, 12 credits in Fall, 13 credits in Spring, and 6 credits in Summer. You can also take more than 31 credits per year and graduate early. All credits taken beyond the minimum 12 for full-time status are free of charge, so taking 15-18 credits per semester can save you money.

Finally, remember that most types of financial aid have enrollment and credit requirements. Be sure you know how many credits you must take to qualify for your financial aid package.

What do you mean by “prerequisites”? Where can I find a list of what I need to take?

Prerequisites are foundational courses, test scores, class standing, or consent that must be completed or obtained before you can take a course. You can find course prerequisite information in the course descriptions in the catalog.

Near the end of the each description, prerequisites are listed after “Pre:

Requirements that should be taken concurrently will be indicated by “Co-requisite,” which means that the course must be taken at the same time.

NOTE: When a department has a prerequisite common to a large group of courses, it is stated in italics preceding the listing of those courses.

Is it true I can get out of the language requirement? How?

Completing the intermediate (i.e., 202) level of a second language is a UHM requirement, but some colleges/schools that offer majors requiring high numbers of credits have waived or modified the requirement. Check your college/school requirements to see if this is the case for you.

To compare requirements for different majors, visit On all program sheets, the second language requirement is on the lower left-hand side of the first page. If you have questions, meet with your college/school academic advisor.

In general, the second language requirement can be fulfilled several ways:

  • Take language courses – completing/passing the “202” (or equivalent) level of a language fulfills the requirement
  • Take a placement exam:
    • If you place in 101, take 101–102, 201–202 (or equivalents);
    • If you place in 102 or higher, enroll in that level; if you pass it with a ‘C’ grade or higher, you will receive back credits (free!) for the lower levels (for example, if you complete 102, you will receive credits for 101; if you are placed in 202, you will receive credits for 101, 102, and 201.
    • If you place in 301 or higher, you can either:
      • Take a course and receive back credits (free!) for 101, 102, 201, and 202; or
      • Request a waiver from the requirement.
  • IF (and only if!) your college/school allows, take a culture course or courses as substitutes (for example, if you’ve taken 101–102, take two culture courses instead of 201–202). Courses must be confirmed by the advisor.

Students with documented learning disabilities that prevent or unreasonably hinder students from acquiring language skills may petition to substitute culture courses for language courses. If you believe this pertains to you, meet with an advisor in KOKUA (which stands for “kahi o ka ulu ʻana,” the place of growing), UHM’s disability services provider:

I work during the day; what do I do if I can’t get in to see my advisor?

Students and advisors need to remain connected. Ask your advisor if you may conduct your advising session by phone, email, Skype or something similar.

My advisor is always booked; how can I get an appointment?

Since you and your advisor need to remain connected, call or email your advisor and ask for the next available opening or work out a mutually agreeable day and time to meet. If you’re unable to come to a mutually agreeable meeting date or time, ask your advisor if he could recommend another advisor who may be available to meet with you.

Back to Top

Evaluation & Transfer Credit Issues

I’m enrolled at another institution; how can I tell which courses will count for UHM’s GenEd?

The GenEd requirements are listed in the UHM Catalog

When you transfer in, the Office of Admissions will evaluate your courses and generate a Transfer Credit Evaluation report, which will indicate which requirements have been fulfilled.

If you are transferring in courses from a non-UH system campus, you can get an idea how some courses may transfer to UHM by visiting the Transfer Credit Search database: Only courses that have already been transferred into UHM and evaluated are listed, so you may not find all the courses you’re looking for. When transferring courses from outside of the UH system, it is highly recommended that you bring a catalog (and syllabi) to help Admissions evaluate your courses as exactly as possible.

If you are transferring in courses from a UH system campus, visit the UHM General Education website. The site includes charts to show how courses articulate from one campus to another.

I’m taking courses in Outreach; which ones will transfer to UHM?

Outreach College is part of UHM, which means you don’t have to transfer Outreach’s credit courses into UHM because they already appear on your UHM transcripts. Credits taken through Outreach College also count toward full-time enrollment at UHM.

Remember that Outreach also offers non-credit courses that do not count towards UHM degrees, but those are clearly marked. To see all the courses Outreach offers, visit

What do “under review”, “need syll,” and “to dept” on my STAR transcript mean?

The Office of Admissions uses these terms to track where courses are in the evaluation process:

  • Under review means that the course description and syllabus are being reviewed, either by Admissions or by the appropriate department.
  • Need Syll means that Admissions needs a course syllabus to complete the evaluation; if you see this on your record, submit the course syllabus to Admissions as soon as possible. If you no longer have a syllabus, contact the department or instructor where you took the course and request a copy. However, you might want to talk to an academic advisor to determine whether a complete evaluation is worth the time it will take to track down a syllabus.
  • To Dept means that Admissions already has a course description or syllabus and has forwarded them to a department for review.

Some of my courses/credits didn’t transfer in; why not, and whom can I talk to?

The Admissions Office completes an initial transfer evaluation based on the following:

In general, students are awarded transfer credit for academic (not technical or vocational) courses that are determined to be at the 4-year-college level and that are passed with a grade of D (not D-) or better. If you believe there are courses/credits that didn’t transfer properly, start by talking to Admissions, (808) 956-8975. In some cases, they may ask for additional information to re-evaluate the courses/credits, including course descriptions or syllabi.

Note: If you take a course at another UH campus after you have started your studies at Mānoa, you must notify Admissions in order to have those credits posted on your Mānoa transcript.

How can I get an evaluation of my courses taken elsewhere?

When you transfer in your courses, the Office of Admissions will complete an evaluation based on the following:

In general, students are awarded transfer credit for academic (not technical or vocational) courses that are determined to be at the 4-year-college level and that are passed with a grade of D (not D-) or better.

You can get an idea how some courses may transfer to UHM by visiting the Transfer Credit Search database: Only courses that have already been transferred into UHM and evaluated are listed, so you may not find all the courses you’re looking for.

If you have already transferred in the courses and no equivalence has been noted, start by visiting the Admissions Office (QLC 001). They may need you to submit a description of syllabus so they can evaluate the course. If the equivalence given is not what you expected, you can request a re-evaluation; Admissions can explain the process.

Can I take a course at another institution over the summer?

Absolutely! However, please consult the Admissions and Records Transfer Credit Search website first ( to find out if /how the course will transfer back to Mānoa. If you want the course to fulfill a major requirement, you might want to check with your major advisor before registering for it. Finally, make sure that your transcripts are sent back to UHM Records once you've completed the course so that your transfer credits can be evaluated and credited to your student record.

Why can't this course fulfill FS (or other Gen Ed designation)?

Courses that receive General Education designations, are reviewed by a committee that verifies the course meets the hallmarks of the designation. Those hallmarks are available on the GenEd website: Courses with an ‘FS’ designation, for example, require students to formulate proofs and engage in hypothetical reasoning.

If you have taken a course that has no GenEd designation on your UHM record but that you believe fulfills a GenEd requirement, start by asking the Office of Admissions. Evaluations by Admissions are bound by articulation agreements. Admissions may ask you to submit a syllabus from the course so they can re-evaluate the course. Once the evaluation is final, work with your college/school academic advisor to make sure you complete all the courses you need to graduate.

Why didn’t this course count as a Writing Intensive (or other Focus designation)?

Instructors need to apply for a writing intensive designation for their specific course and section. Before courses receive WI designations, they are reviewed by a committee that verifies the course meets the hallmarks of the designation. Those hallmarks are available on the Focus website:

I’m going on Study Abroad / National Student Exchange. How can I tell if those courses are going to count?

Before participating on a Study Abroad, Mānoa International Exchange (MIX) or National Student Exchange (NSE), you should choose courses you plan to take — and be sure to include some extras, in case the ones you want are full. You can get an idea how some courses may transfer to UHM by visiting the Transfer Credit Search database:

Only courses that have already been transferred into UHM and evaluated are listed, so you may not find all the courses you’re looking for. In that case, discuss your list of possible courses with both your Study Abroad / NSE advisor and your college/school advisor.

If you need a more exact evaluation, you may need to obtain an evaluation from the relevant department, and your Study Abroad / NSE or college/school advisors can help you contact the departments’ undergraduate advisor(s). You should get departmental evaluations in writing.

Back to Top


What do ‘unclassified’ and ‘classified’ mean?

Unclassified means a student is taking courses but is not pursuing a degree in a college or school.

Classified means the student has been admitted to a college or school and is pursuing a degree.

At UHM, students who are pursuing a degree but have not yet declared a major, or who have not yet been admitted to the program they are pursuing, are classified students in the Mānoa Advising Center. UHM unclassified students are in Outreach College, while post-baccalaureate unclassified students (= students who have already completed a Bachelor degree and are returning to take courses but not complete a degree) are in the Office of Graduate Education.

What’s the difference between a ‘university’, a ‘college’, and a ‘school’?

A university is a collection of colleges and/or schools that work together and share resources, such as Admissions and Financial Aid; students are admitted to individual colleges and schools.

A college is an educational unit that offers a variety of degrees, usually in one general discipline. UHM colleges include the Colleges of Arts and Humanities; Business; Education; Engineering; Languages, Linguistics, and Literature; Natural Sciences; Social Sciences; and Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources.

A school is an education unit that offers one or only a limited number of degrees in a specific area. UHM schools include the Schools of Architecture; Law; Medicine; Nursing and Dental Hygiene; Ocean and Earth Science and Technology; Pacific and Asian Studies; Social Work; and Travel Industry Management.

I’m already a UHM student, why do I have to apply to a college/school?

UHM has 17 colleges and schools, which offer almost 100 different undergraduate majors. The University as a whole has basic admission criteria that all students must meet, but each college/school has its own admission criteria, as well. The criteria for some colleges/schools are the same as those for the University; the Colleges of Arts and Sciences is an example. The criteria for others may be higher and may include course prerequisites, practicum hours, an exam, an interview or audition.

To gain entrance to a specific college/school, to change from one to another, or to add a major from another college/school, start by checking out its website, then meet with one of its academic advisors.

Do I need a placement exam? When are they, how do I sign up, and where do I take it?

Some departments require that you take an assessment or placement examination before you may enroll in a particular course. Information on these exams is available in the Schedule of Courses (SOC): The placement exams are located under “Registration Procedures.”

Back to Top

General Questions

How much is tuition? Why are fees so much? When do I have to pay?

UHM’s tuition, fees, and payment deadlines are all listed in the Schedule of Classes (SOC):

Although tuition and fees may seem high, remember that UHM is an excellent Research Intensive institution, and UHM’s tuition and fees are much lower than at comparable universities. In fact, UHM has been consistently ranked as a “best value” among U.S. colleges and universities because of its high quality education at an affordable price.

Student fees pay for a wide variety of student services at UHM, for everything from use of the pool and gym and leisure programs to meeting rooms for clubs and free or greatly discounted events.

Remember that an education is more than just a series of classes! At UHM, there’s so much going on, it’s hard to keep track of it all. To make the most of your tuition and fees, check out some options:

What do you mean it’s past the deadline? What deadline? Is this listed someplace?

All deadlines are posted, and it is your responsibility to know them; after all, university students are independent adults, able to manage their own lives, and only you can know which deadlines pertain to you. BE PROACTIVE and know your deadline dates!

Deadlines for admission issues (application deadlines, intent to enroll forms, tuition deposit, etc.) are on the Admissions website.

Deadlines for current students ( links to the Academic Calendar, Financial Aid, Tuition and Fees, Bursar’s Office, Paying Your UH Bills, etc.) can be accessed through the Current Students website.

Deadlines for enrollment issues (payment of tuition/fees, registering for classes, adding and withdrawing from classes, etc.) are listed in the Schedule of Classes.

Deadlines for Graduate Education are on the Office of Graduate Education website.

Deadlines for Outreach College are on the Outreach College website.

Deadlines for Summer Session are on Outreach College website.

Deadlines for applying to colleges/schools/majors are listed on the individual unit’s website. You can find links to all the colleges and schools at: The majors they offer are listed on their sites.

If you’re not sure which college or school offers the major you’re looking for, check out the UH Catalog at or the list of undergraduate majors at

Deadlines for individual classes and groups are posted in class syllabi and/or on websites.

I can’t afford to pay for my classes, but I can’t withdraw because there’s a hold on my record; what do I do?

First, determine what your hold is for. Thereafter, contact your advisor and/or the Cashier’s Office to discuss payment options.

Go to the following website and see whether you qualify for the UH Installment Payment Plan –

Explain the Repeat Policy

Students may only repeat a course in which they received a grade of C-, D+, D, D-, F or an NC. Degree credit for a course is given only once. The grade assigned for each repeated course is permanently recorded on the transcript. Grades for all repeated courses will be included in your grade point average (GPA).

How do I use STAR?

Start at the home website for students: Under “Web Tools” are links to both MyUH and STAR. (You can also get to “STAR Transcripts” through your MyUH site — the link is on the left-hand navigation bar.)

Once you link to STAR, you will find directions to get started. The first step will be “Obtain UH username.” Once you have a username, spend some time exploring the site — there are a lot of resources.

If you have difficulty, go to

How do I log on to the MyUH portal? And what’s there?

Log into your MyUH portal via: This site is will be your lifeline to the university.

There are just too many forms! Where am I supposed to find which ones?

Yes, there are numerous forms for numerous requests and actions. Thoroughly discuss policies, procedures, and requirements with your advisor to gain a grounded understanding for what you actually need and how to go about it.

I’m a graduate student in this department; what do you mean this isn’t my college? Who’s supposed to sign my form?

For administrative purposes, a graduate student’s college is the Office of Graduate Education. This is especially relevant when it comes to forms and signatures; otherwise, the college in which the student belongs to is one that will be granting his/her degree.

What’s the difference between the catalog and the schedule of classes, and why do I need both? Why can’t it all be in one place?

Simply, the Catalog is a descriptive manual for an academic year for the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. It includes policies, procedures for each college, school, department and program, a listing of courses with descriptions, and a listing of faculty and personnel at the university.

The Schedule of Classes (SOC) booklet is a directory or listing for a specific semester at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. It includes primarily policies and procedures for registration; and a list of courses with meeting days/times/locations.

Students need to have access to the catalog for the semester in which they entered. The Schedule of Classes will compliment the catalog with specific registration details each semester.

Back to Top

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Are there any scholarships available? How do I apply for them?

Yes, there are scholarships available! But you will need to investigate to find ones you are eligible for. It’s a good idea to seek information well before you apply for UH. Applications can vary in deadline dates and materials required for submission.

Start by visiting the website for Financial Aid Services (FAS): It has a lot of information and useful links for different types of scholarships and financial aid.

For scholarship information, visit

Once you have a UH ID number and/or a UH username and password, you will also have access to an online scholarship application site through STAR:

If you have further questions, contact Financial Aid Services via phone at (808) 956-7251, in person at QLC 112, or via email at

I’m on financial aid; is it better to withdraw or take the ‘F’?

In general, it is not wise to mix academic and financial decisions; be sure you discuss your options and reasoning with academic and financial aid advisors before making your decision.

There are consequences for ‘W’ (withdrawal) and ‘F’ (failing) grades on your academic record. Meet with your academic advisor to learn UHM’s Repeat Policy and to find out how the grades will impact your GPA and your career goals.

Also, different types of financial aid have different enrollment requirements — do not just assume you will lose all of your aid if you drop below the minimum full-time enrollment of 12 credits. Before you decide whether to withdraw, your financial aid package, or just to “take the ‘F’,” meet with your financial aid advisor and find out how it impacts your Grade Point Average (GPA) and your financial aid.

My funding hasn’t come in but I need to pay for books/rent/etc.; whom do I see?

To receive your funding (whether grant, scholarship, tuition waiver, loan, etc.) on time, you must apply and meet all deadlines. To make sure you apply and get your money on time, become familiar with the “ABC’s to Financial Aid” on the Financial Aid website: The link is on the left-hand navigation bar.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not apply by the deadline, you may not receive your funds before the tuition payment deadline. If that happens, you will need to pay tuition/fees, housing, books, meals, etc.) on your own. When your funding comes in, it will reimburse you.

As always, if you are unable to pay, visit both your financial aid and academic advisors right away to discuss your options — be proactive and take care of these issues as soon as possible!

Back to Top


When is registration and when should I get advising?

Registration begins in April for both Summer and Fall semesters and in December for Spring semester; exact dates are announced and posted in the Schedule Of Classes (SOC)

You can get advising before you are officially admitted into UHM; just contact the Student Academic Services office of your intended college/school.

For your first two years, you will have mandatory advising each semester and will receive instructions via email. In your last two years, we recommend you meet with your advisor(s) at least once each semester, to make sure you stay on track.

If you are a prospective, transfer, or incoming student, you should get academic advising before registering for your first semester. If you need to locate your advisor, visit

How do I register for classes?

Clicking on the MyUH portal icon will navigate you to the university’s online registration system. If you are having difficulties or need assistance, visit the “Get Started with MyUH” webpage at:

Before registering, be sure to visit the online Schedule of Classes (SOC) for announcements, deadlines, registration timetables, and instructions:

Why can’t I register? What do all these “restrictions” mean?

There are three common reasons why you cannot register.

  1. Registration Period: You are trying to register during a period when you are not allowed to register. For registration information, go to
  2. Registration Hold: You have a hold(s) preventing you from registering. You can see your holds in MyUH and on the “Academic Standing” tab on STAR. For each hold, there is usually a reason and contact information listed. If so, follow up and get the hold lifted. If you cannot find the reason or contact information, contact your college/school academic advisor, who can help you figure out how to get it lifted.
  3. Course Restrictions: You are unable to register for the course because of course restrictions or prerequisite requirements. Courses can be restricted for several reasons, including:
    1. Enrollment requires approval from the instructor, program, department, or college.
    2. The course requires another course to be taken first (prerequisite).
    3. The course requires another course to be taken at the same time (co-requisite).

If you get a registration error, you may be able to solve it on your own. Start by referring to Then try the following:

Go to

  1. Click on Registration Step by Step
  2. Click on 6. Review Course Restriction and Prerequisites
  3. Click on Check Class Availability to see if there are any restriction on the course
  4. Or, click on Registration Errors to learn about the error messages
  5. Contact the Department offering the course with questions regarding eligibility

If you have further questions, please call the Registration Helpline at 808-956-8010.

I need to withdraw and have missed the deadline – help!?

PLEASE NOTE: If you need to withdraw from a course, you must do so before the deadline!

If you miss the deadline, you will likely not be allowed to withdraw and a grade for the course will be entered into your permanent record. To withdraw before the ninth-week deadline (see the Schedule of Classes for the date), submit a completed and signed DROP form, which is available in hardcopy at the Records office and at all college/school Student Academic Services offices. Or download

Some colleges/schools may permit students to petition to be allowed to withdraw after the deadline, but petitions must document extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control, are handled on a case-by-case basis, and are frequently denied. If you believe you should be allowed to petition, meet with your college/school advisor; forms for petitions are not available online.

Back to Top


What do I have to do to graduate?

Most importantly, you have to declare a major and complete all of your program requirements (see, and you also have to file for graduation.

You file for graduation with your college/school’s Student Academic Services office. Some majors also require you to file for graduation with the major department.

Generally, you should file for graduation a semester in advance so be sure to check with your college/school’s Student Academic Services Office for deadlines.

Once you have filed for graduation, you will receive instructions about the graduation ceremony.

What do I have to do to graduate early?

A university degree is basically self-study, so you can graduate as soon as you have completed your degree program requirements. The best way to ensure you will graduate when you want to is to create and follow an academic plan and to meet with your academic advisors regularly.

Ways to work through your requirements more quickly include taking more credits per semester and attending Summer terms.

Remember that you need to file for graduation during your penultimate semester (that’s the semester before the semester you plan to graduate).

The process for filing for graduation varies among the colleges/school, so be sure you ask your academic advisor about this sometime during your Junior year.

I still haven’t received my diploma; why is it taking so long and whom can I talk to?

UHM diplomas are printed professionally which generally takes 8–10 weeks after the semester ends. If you have waited longer than 8–10 weeks and still have not received your diploma, contact the Records Office at (808) 956-8010 to find out when your diploma will be mailed or ready for pick up.

How can I get a copy of my transcripts?

Students may request a copy of their transcripts from the UHM Records Office by completing a Transcript Request Form and submitting a fee via mail, fax, or in person.

For instructions, information, and the form, visit:

Back to Top